Friday, January 25, 2013

Canucks Rock: All Canadian Link up! 01/26

Welcome to our weekly All Canadian Link Up!  This weekend and every weekend, Canucks Rock! with our All Canadian Link Up and Candid Canuck feature interview.  Brought to you by your hosts: Did you know Canada?, Tales of a Ranting Ginger and Maple Leaf Mommy!

This Week's Candid Canuck is Jeanette from This Dusty House, check out our interview with her..



What project in your renovations are you most proud of? 
Definitely the kitchen. When we were doing our renovations, we had some pretty tight square footage limitations, so we had to get a little creative. Instead of traditional uppers, we went with a full wall of pantry cupboards. They look great and provide plenty of cupboard space in my small kitchen. Then, a few months later, we stumbled across the perfect back splash tile that took the whole room to the next level. I love being in my kitchen and it's the room that shows off our abilities as DIYers and hobby designers best.

Tell us about your pets.
We have three pets: two dogs and a cat. The cat, Pekoe, came first, many years ago, before I met my husband. He was with me through some of my most difficult times during university, always there to cuddle when I was having a bad day. He's a free-spirited kitty these days, but he still loves his mama.

Mocha, our cockapoo, joined the family just a couple months after we got married and moved to Toronto. She was such an adorable little puppy, but she taught us a lot about raising dogs and being pet owners! She also managed to cut my shoe collection in half. There may have been tears... She's two and a half now and loves nothing else more than snuggling up as close to your face as she can get.

Kingsley came around just a few months ago, back at the beginning of September. We got him as a puppy from the Toronto Humane Society. He's growing up into the sweetest, most loving dog I have ever met. As long as he gets all his walks, that is...

What makes you proud to be a Canadian? 
So many things! I love that we say sorry to someone who bumps into us. I love that we're polite to a fault. I love how much we talk about weather. I love how stereotypical we can be.

My view of what it means to be Canadian has been challenged and stretched over the past number of years. I grew up on a dairy farm in rural Ontario. Believe or not, being Canadian is a very different thing there than it is here. Small town values with a distinctly Canadian edge are wonderful things to raise a child on. But here, in the city, there's a greater level of openness, of acceptance, even of love for the people around us. My sense of what it means to be Canadian felt different yet when I visited Edmonton, where my sister lives, last summer. I am incredibly proud of that diversity, that being Canadian doesn't mean just one thing.

Tell us about your most popular blog post. 
My most popular blog post... It's one of two:
The reveal of our renovated bathroom and The tutorial for my chair booties.  I made these when we had our dining room set on our brand new bamboo floors. I had never planned to make a tutorial, was surprised, even, when a few people asked for it. My grandmother had them on all her chairs!

Do you have a big project planned for this new year?
We're not really sure. At the moment, we're stuck trying to figure out our best course of action. We know our house is not large enough to be sustainable. So, do we sell and buy a new one, or do we renovate to add more square footage? It's a tough question to answer and we haven't figured it out yet.


Thanks so much to This Dusty House for sharing such great info with us!  Want to be one of our featured Canucks?  Sign up here.

Right now, link up your Canadian blog and social media accounts, find some new reads and new friends!

Click here to grab this linky for your site!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

SheBlogs Media