Monday, March 12, 2012

World Mastercard Fashion Week

Did you know Canada.. World Mastercard Fashion Week is in Toronto March 12-17th and Did you know Canada? will be there!

Did you know Canada? Toronto Representative Pam will be attending the Soia & Kyo runaway show March 13th. We were so honoured to be able to ask designer Ilan Elfassy a few questions before the show:

As a Canadian designer how well do you feel fashion is embraced in Canada? Does it change from coast to coast?
Fashion is very well embraced in Canada; the people love it. And yes, fashion is definitely different on the West Coast as opposed to the East coast. Canada is such a big country and we are exposed to different sources of inspiration. As a designer from the East coast, I always felt like the people on the West Coast are welcoming our designs and appreciate the novelties that we bring.

Describe the general process you go through to design and realize a piece of clothing.
The first step is to get inspired. I find most of my inspiration comes from my travels, but again, anything can be source of inspiration.... A vision for the next collection originates from these inspirations and with it in mind, I will begin the search for the perfect materials. I need to see, touch and feel different fabrics. A coat is fully realized when it respects the direction of the collection and when its fabric, trimmings and details come together. Then, we build the samples and with the fittings, we add the final touches.

As Canada fully feels all four seasons, is that a help or a hindrance to creating your designs?
Having four distinctive seasons is a great thing because you follow nature’s flow and create accordingly; there is a certain edge to fall and a spirit of renewal for spring. It is less of a great thing because I need to stay more focus on my creations. Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter are two different collections and they cannot overlap.

What are your favourite fabrics to work with and why?
My favourite fabric is definitely leather because it has an attitude, a character to it. It is offered in such attractive colors as well... It’s a natural skin and you need to have the craftsmanship that comes with it to know how to work it.

Do you have any pre-runway rituals you can share with us?
Relax, relax and relax.

Thanks so much to designer Ilan Elfassy for sharing such great insight into Canada, fashion and his work!

Soia & Kyo debuted in 2004. Montreal designer, Ilan Elfassy, is known for creating fabulous fitting clothes with exquisite detail and unique styling. His clothing has been featured in many popular international magazines and has a celebrity following. He has said that he is inspired by “the ‘hipster urban traveler’" and this global feel is certainly present in his designs. I love the clean lines, asymmetric and structured collars and striking finishishes of his Fall /Winter 2011 line. His jackets and coats for both men and women are high fashion yet very wearable. I fell in love with his women's faux shearling "Kasey" jacket and the men's "Jimmy" wool coat. Both are currently on sale and shipping is free!

I'm so excited to be going to the March 13 debut of the Soia & Kyo Spring/Summer Collection at Toronto's Fashion week. I'll be reporting back to Did you know Canada? with as many pictures and details as possible!


Pam
micrapol@hotmail.com

6 comments:

  1. oh that would be so exciting to see! great questions to ask, loved the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting I know my daughter would have loved to attend this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you guys for being involved in such a great event! I took a look at their site, looks like it will be tons of fun. If I was closer I would love to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canadian designers are amazing, can't wait to see the pics and hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great, I cannot wait to see the pics! My g/f would have loved to have gone to this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like wool coats for women, design is awesome. Good price on accessories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

SheBlogs Media