Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Internet and Adolescents

Did you know Canada.. Researchers in Canada have found a strong association between computer and Internet use in adolescents and engagement in multiple-risk behaviours, including illicit drug use, drunkenness and unprotected sex.

They say that since adolescents are exposed to considerable screen time - over 4.5 hours on average each day - they're constantly seeing images of behaviours they can then potentially adopt.

Do you agree with these findings? I think adolescents where "engaged in multiple-risk behaviours" long before the Internet.

Source: Science Daily, Preventive Medicine, Queen's University

2 comments:

  1. I think there are just less consequences for such "goings-on" these days. Your life used to be over if your were a teen mom years and years ago...now you get a TV show about it.

    Also, just wanted to let you know, I received the Versatile Blogger award today, and listed your blog in my list of 15 blogs to pay it forward to. Congrats - and thanks for teaching me more about my beloved Great White North!
    post is here:
    http://amothersluv.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes true, there are less consequences for some things - especially teen pregnancy. I do think there has been more of a crack down on alcohol in some regards though.

    Fantastic site and thanks so much for adding me to your blog list! Congrats on your award :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

SheBlogs Media