Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cell Phone users in Canada

Did you know Canada.. 78% of Canadian households say they have a cell phone - up from 74% in 2008.

The proportion of households with cell phones was highest in three western provinces, Alberta-87%, Saskatchewan-83% and British Columbia-82%, and in Ontario-81%. On the other hand Quebec had the lowest rate of cell phone use at 69%.

More families are removing their traditional landline telephones in favour of wireless phones only. In 2010, 13% of households reported they used a cell phone exclusively, up from 8% in 2008. We're planning to do this as well in December when our current plan runs out - we want to switch to Rogers, get iPhone 4s and cancel our landline (I really, Really, REALLY wish we could do it now instead of waiting but it's VERY expensive to get out of the current plan with Bell Mobility and then the upfront costs for the iPhone 4) It's 50% of households in the 18-to-34 age bracket that were using only cell phones.

What do you think about all these numbers? Are you or anyone you know doing away with landlines like we plan to do?

Source: Statistics Canada

2 comments:

  1. New follower here from The Great Link Exchange!

    We have Vonage as our landline, but it's actually an internet phone. I'd love to have that as part of my cellphone ability... I want to get an iPhone, but I can justify the costs yet. So I guess I'm part of the %87 NOT using a cellphone exclusively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa!!

    I'm dying for an iPhone, I wish the upfront cost wasn't so high - makes it very hard to make the switch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

SheBlogs Media